Why We Recommend Parasite Prevention
While fleas, ticks and mosquitoes may function best during the warmer seasons, they can still be a year-round concern for our four-legged friends. Therefore, your pet needs year-round protection to keep them healthy and disease-free.
These parasites may be tiny, but they can cause other problems in addition to annoying infestations. Fleas can trigger flea allergic dermatitis in pets when they bite, leading to itching and irritation of the skin. Ticks, particularly the deer tick, can transmit Lyme disease if they’re carrying the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. Lyme disease can cause swelling in the joints, fever, lethargy and a loss of appetite.
Last but not least, mosquitoes are capable of transmitting heartworm disease to animals with a single bite. Heartworm is a progressive disease that may not yield any symptoms until considerable damage has been done. In a worst-case scenario, heartworm disease can be fatal.
Flea, Tick and Heartworm Preventatives We Offer
Our hospital offers various quality products to keep cats and dogs safe. These include:
- Bravecto – a topical flea and tick preventative for dogs and cats
- Interceptor Plus – a chewable heartworm and intestinal parasite preventative for dogs only
- NexGard – a chewable flea and tick preventative for dogs only
- Revolution – a topical flea, heartworm and intestinal parasite preventative for cats
- Seresto – a flea and tick preventative collar for dogs and cats
If you have any questions about the products listed above, please contact us immediately so we can help you. We care about your pet’s well-being and want them to stay parasite-free for as long as possible!
My dog is VERY energetic!! The staff and doctors are understanding, friendly and caring. They take time to explain everything throughly. My dog is happy to go for appointments.